This blog...

...was initially for pieces done on a computer, but has since become a free-for-all. Here you'll find process work (digital and otherwise), sketch pages and studies, sometimes with commentary.

You can see the rest of my work here.

Remember kids : if you can't make pretty designs, at least make pretty lines!

-Paul

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Study Buddy - Kurt Richards

My brother Kurt hooked up possibly the hardest study buddy yet! Lost patience with quite a few of these. It's clear I have no clue how to go about rendering gold, animals or architecture, let alone nearly symmetrical architecture. The pomegranate study went a little better since I went dark to light, the way you're supposed to with a painting. But damn did a lot of these come out crappy.

Still, it's good to realize where you're weak and build on those things. I'll take greater care next time I'm confronted with these problems and have more time to spend on them. Thanks, Kurt! Next Study Buddy comes from Lis Mitchell, aka Pixelfish.

3 comments:

Pepe Larraz said...

Woah, man! your work is great...
I like very much your sketches. Very expressive!
Good stuff!

PixelFish said...

I think they all still look pretty sweet. But as I'm struggling through the last three panels of my Study Buddy, it warms my heart to know that you can find flaws in your work too.

I hope you enjoy the one I gave you...although come to think of it, there's architecture in there as well.

PixelFish said...

Also, the cat, the pomegranete, and the microscopic detail of whatever that beehive structure was were my favourites from this one. You make the cat look all oil-painty.