This blog...

...was initially for pieces done on a computer, but has since become a free-for-all. Here you'll find process work (digital and otherwise), sketch pages and studies, sometimes with commentary.

You can see the rest of my work here.

Remember kids : if you can't make pretty designs, at least make pretty lines!

-Paul

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sketches!

Doing studies not only emphasized the importance of gesture, but reminded me how I neglect to add black to my shit, resulting in a flat, "coloring book" look.



On the subject, I remember my old A.D. Chris Lichtner remarking "What that does is it grounds the image." I guess, like overlap, I have the same timidity when it comes to obscuring something I've drawn. Being bold with both doesn't appear to hurt.

1 comment:

Adam Street said...

I have similar issues with black in my drawings. A good one I studied too was Frazetta's line drawings. http://frankfrazetta.org/bw0001.php