This blog...

...was initially for pieces done on a computer, but has since become a free-for-all. Here you'll find process work (digital and otherwise), sketch pages and studies, sometimes with commentary.

You can see the rest of my work here.

Remember kids : if you can't make pretty designs, at least make pretty lines!

-Paul

Saturday, February 6, 2010

lifedrawing log - 02.06.10 9 (more venom)



3 hours of drawing. During the session, I had to yet again explain that what I was doing wasn't cartooning, but rather taking careful inventory of things I knew to be true of the pose we were confronted with. "But you drew it with a 'style.'" Well, yes. Style takes care of itself. The point is, when I leave the room, this pose is now in my inventory, and can be reproduced and/or manipulated at will. Try doing that with your 'fine' art, dipshit.

To add insult to injury, some old bat rudely shhhhhhhhhhhhhhed two of my industry friends for softly discussing digital art technique. Because, you know, you need total radio silence to do a single, shitty pastel.

We were also treated to another abstract masterpiece by a guy I like to call Jurassic Park (because he looks like John Hammond). This clueless, sweatpants-wearing fucker spends the 3 hour period producing a drawing that consists of 6 wiggly lines. Occasionally he'll leave his little supply-cluttered workspot (you need a lot of tools when you're a fraud) and go "measure" the figure with his thumb, looking at it all quizzically, like he's on the verge of some major breakthrough. Then he goes back and pulls out one of those bendy french curves and uses that to make a 7th line. Holy shit. What genius.

12 comments:

Justin Owens said...

I'm sorry to hear your life drawing environment is filled with that pretension.

Something I like about your work is how you distill the figure (and pose) into their core, both read clearly. It's neat to see how you explore the pose as well and aren't satisfied with what you see (the idea of, how can I make this pose better?).

I received your sketchbooks a couple weeks ago, thanks again! I've been taking them with my sketchbook and referencing them as I draw. I find the human figure to be so hard to depict, but looking at your work I get a better idea how I can put it down.

Cheers!

brianleepainter said...

Hey Paul, I surely do like to see you reconstruct the figure from a given pose.

On another note, LOL...man I should associated that old man with John Hammond when I had first spotted him.
I've been trying to label the old hag with a name, but I have yet to come up with one. Speaking of which
she has consistently managed to make
rude remarks every Saturday. She
sounded like a bitch-nazi from all
the way across the room, but I
think you shut her up with your
comment at the end:)

Paul Richards said...

Isn't she just beastly? I understand that it's protocol to be quiet, but (a) those guys were both new to the session, and (b) there's a nice way to get that message across.

I don't think she even heard me, lol.

Danny Araya said...

Man, I wanna go to your life drawing sessions

Paul Richards said...

And Justin -- Thanks. Glad the books showed up!

Drawing people is always going to be hard. The key, as with anything, is in forethought. Combing over the page from one element to another with no analysis or plan is risky business.

Paul Richards said...

And Danny, I don't mean to paint an unfair picture of these sessions. The guy who runs them, Jim McIntyre, is a prince among men, and his work is actually impressive. Valuable work gets done...just not by certain people.

justink said...

ah, your recounts of life drawing are classic.

Unknown said...

Yup! Classic life drawing session description.

Me, I just find another venue when the crowd gets too much on my nerves...

andrew domo said...

haha..dude this got me laughing aloud. We've got a couple of noobs like that at our sessions here in Van.

Unknown said...

Paul, keep fighting the good fight. The interwebs loves you and your work.

I don't think you're figures are cartoony. To me, they are like if you applied algebra to the act of seeing something and factored out all of the shit that doesn't matter. Many people hide their flaws with lots of extra lines. You distill the pose to it's base components. I love it.

I love to look at your work, and have learned a good bit from them.

KAHNEHTEH said...

Brilliant, BRILLIANT drawings from life. I am beyond impressed and wholly jealous of your skill set.

Thank you very much for sharing and for the inspiration.

Eric.

Michael Stewart said...

This is classic, I enjoy reading the blatantly visceral descriptions that you have for the other attendees of life-drawing sessions. I've encountered the same archetypes in my adventures!