This blog...

...was initially for pieces done on a computer, but has since become a free-for-all. Here you'll find process work (digital and otherwise), sketch pages and studies, sometimes with commentary.

You can see the rest of my work here.

Remember kids : if you can't make pretty designs, at least make pretty lines!

-Paul

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My fucking TEETH / the frosting of unbaked cakes

Random novelty : my skull has been UV-unwrapped. The dentist I saw this morning did a panoramic scan that not only shows my entire jawline, but also bits of my nasal passage and eye sockets. Good news -- no cavities!



Also, startin' to paint this...I likes me purple 'n' greeeeeen!



Then there's this guy...


If I can ever get myself to stick with an underdrawing until it's ready (which I call "letting it bake" -- Ever try frosting an unbaked cake? Doesn't work.), this "digital inking via Sketchbook Pro" thing could potentially work for Whisper. The line is so friggin' crisp, I don't even need to sharpen it when I reduce for web. I made a custom brush based on the pencil tool with these properties, and it's been working out pretty well. [see below] Another thing that helped here was that the underdrawing was done on paper and scanned in. I'm not sure if it's the perceived lag or what, but there are certain kinds of lines/line weights that I just don't attempt in a digital environment. My wooden pencil somehow gives me the ease and confidence to commit to shapes much more readily. It's a mindfuck, truly, but I'm sure the disconnect will be bridged in my lifetime.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul, you're crazy!
Maybe you will don't understand a word of what Im `typing` about (Im brazilian, yey). Or maybe you wouldnt give a sh*%^&, but I really have to admitt: I do admire your work buddie.

The flow of your lines match perfectly with the grotesque look of your creatures and smoothness of your girls. Keep going and bring more ideas for this boring and "3d" world.

So. The pens in Sketchbook are really nice. But, like you, Im not confident yet to work plugged in all the time. Maybe you can.

That's it. Best regards.

Agnaldo (Lamp)
amonsteria.wordpress.com

Joshua James said...

DAMN LOOK AT THOSE CLEAN DIGITAL LINES! O_O!

Unknown said...

Need more new naughties. Going through withdrawl.